Healthy Summer Recipes
As summer begins, it is essential to maintain healthy habits and eat nutritious foods that fuel your body. There are many healthy summer recipe ideas for you to choose from and make for dinner or a summer gathering.
Whether you are hosting a cookout with friends or cooking for yourself and your family, here are a few healthy and delicious recipes we found to add to your summer menu.
Pineapple Salsa Grilled Chicken
- Juice of 4 limes, divided
- 1/4 c.
- Plus 1 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 c. Extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grill
- 2 tsp. Honey
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 c. Chopped pineapple
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1/4 Red onion, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
Make marinade: In a large bowl, whisk together juice of 3 limes, 1/4 cup cilantro, oil, and honey and season with salt.
Add chicken to a large resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Let marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours, or up to overnight.
When ready to grill, heat grill to high. Oil grates and grill chicken until charred and cooked through, 8 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together pineapple, avocado, red onion, remaining lime juice, and the remaining tablespoon cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon salsa over chicken before serving.
Recipe and image from Delish
Cran-Orange Couscous Salad
- 3 cups uncooked pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 2 cans (14 ounces each ) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 large navel oranges, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup fennel bulb, thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Prepare couscous according to package directions. Fluff with a fork; cool. In a bowl, combine couscous and the next 9 ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients until blended. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Garnish with additional chopped basil and reserved fennel fronds.
Recipe and Image from Taste of Home
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- 1/2 (16 ounce) package uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup pitted Mediterranean olives, cut in half
- 1 cup finely diced Asiago cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook orzo in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until tender yet firm to the bite, about 9 minutes. Drain well. Rinse with cold water and drain well again.
Combine orzo, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumbers, olives, and Asiago cheese in a large bowl.
Whisk garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl to make the vinaigrette. Drizzle over the orzo mixture and toss lightly to combine. Add basil and parsley and mix well. Let sit for 20 minutes for flavors to blend, stirring occasionally.
Recipe and image from All recipes
Strawberry-Chocolate Greek Yogurt Bark
- 3 cups whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Stir yogurt, maple syrup (or honey) and vanilla in a medium bowl. Spread on the prepared baking sheet into a 10-by-15-inch rectangle. Scatter the strawberries on top and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
Freeze until very firm, at least 3 hours. To serve, cut or break into 32 pieces.
Recipe and image from Eating Well