If you are an active or pending Liberty HealthShare member who has opted to receive our occasional e-mails, you should have received a message from us regarding the following:
This Thursday, the House of Representatives will vote on the American Health Care Act. We need your help. We are asking you to take a few minutes to call your Congressional Representative and urge him or her to advocate for language that supports healthcare sharing ministries in the bill.You can find your Representative's contact information by clicking the button below. When you call, please keep these things in mind:
- Be polite.
- Stick to the issue of the healthcare bill.
- The person with whom you are speaking is simply taking down a message and cannot answer questions.
- Ask to be included in the next tele-townhall event.
Find your Representative's contact information.
Here is a suggested "script" of what you can say to the staff member with whom you will speak.
"Hello. My name is __________________________. I am a member of Liberty HealthShare, a healthcare sharing ministry. I have been informed that the healthcare reform bill circulating in the House of Representatives does not protect our healthcare sharing ministry.
As you work with your colleagues and President Trump on the current healthcare reform bill, I urge you to support amending the final bill to protect our healthcare options with the following provisions:
- Allow members of healthcare sharing ministries to participate in Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Several bills (H.R. 1175 and S.403) have such a provision, but the current reform bill does not. Please do what you can to ensure that the final House and Senate healthcare reform bill allows our members to use HSAs.
- Please be sure the 30% continuous coverage penalty does not apply to members of healthcare sharing ministries. Members that move into or out of healthcare sharing would be hit by this penalty. Under the ACA, our members were exempt from penalties. Please see that an exemption is provided.
Simply, we are asking for the continued freedom to make healthcare decisions based on our needs and values. Please make sure (insert Representative's name) strongly urges the House Rules Committee to make these changes to include these two provisions.
Thank you for your assistance. My personal information is as follows (name, address, email)."
Thank you for showing your support for healthcare sharing and for being a Liberty HealthShare member.